Keeping your roof clean is a habit you must adhere to, as often as possible. The reason behind this is, when you keep the roof clean, you ensure no water seeps through and no unnecessary debris in the form of moss, algae, fungus, and bacteria manages to find a place on your roof. Not only do they damage your roof, but leads to excess expenditure in the long run.
Thus, keeping these thoughts in mind, let us look at the steps in which we can keep our roofs clean and safe from all kinds of dirt and debris.
Steps for Roof cleaning:
- For starters, get yourself on the roof, but with adequate safety precautions at hand. Keep in mind, that any wrong step might lead to serious injuries.
- Start by brushing off all the loose dirt and debris which have accumulated on the roof. If there are tree branches which hand on your roof, cut them off, because they lead to excess debris.
Also, these branches lead to the formation of rot and mould which ends up in your gutters and gets them jammed. Using a soft-bristled broom try and brush off as much of the dirt you can. In case you have shingles, avoid using a hard broom, because it can end up damaging the granules.
- If you find algae stains on your roof (which are formed by black algae), you will surely want to clean it off. They don’t cause any harm to your roof as such, but then they give your roof an unwelcoming and unaesthetic appeal, in general.
- To get rid of these stains, make use of a mixture that contains bleaching and a safe cleaning liquid and spread across your whole roof. Finally, wash it off and you’ll find your roof rid of all stains. Avoid applying any form of bleach or any harsh chemicals which might cause the roof to get damaged due to corrosion.
- If you find moss growing on your roof, then that is something you might want to get rid of as soon as possible, before it leads to any kind of permanent damage. Avoid scraping or pulling off moss from your roof as it may lead the shingles to get destroyed. Also, avoid using any form of acid or hard chemicals on your roof because it will only cause more damage. To get rid of the moss, first, remove the shade, then remove all the moisture that is there in its surroundings. In case you’re unable to do that, use any mild acidic or basic compound and kill off the moss. No matter what mixture you use, always remember to dilute it, else it will damage the roof. If you are in doubt how to do moss removal look here.
- Once you’ve rid your roof of all the debris and dirt, complete off the whole process with a gutter cleaning, because chances are, when you were cleaning your roof, the dirt might have entered the gutters.
These few steps can ensure clean roofs, all year long.